1940s photos ( from Keith Campbell 1941 - 1950) showing various views of the School including the Quad before the Clolisters were glazed in the 1970s.
Photo of dormitories and wash room 1908 - 1910, one with note, one a post card from D J Foskett.
Photos and post cards. 1900 - 1910 Front of School including Headmaster's house, the dining Hall, the original Great Hall, the top floor dormitory of the Boarding House, a day room, (2019 forms part of the SCR), the Quad, and the tuck shop attached to the original pavilion.
Photo postcard of original tuck shop on site of 1929 pavilion
Original Great Hall on south side of Quad ( turned into library on completion of 1937 Great Hall with rooms below ( originally day rooms, from c 1970, classrooms). Photo postcard
Photos of; front, day room, Great Hall, Quad, swimming pool, gym, dormitories, cricket on field, woodwork room, laboratory, chapel, dining room,
dayroom, ground floor front, converted to Masters' comon room 1973, one is pc from D J Foskett to parents. Photo postcard
Game of cricket on field
Chapel, Day room, Great Hall, Quad, Gym, cricket on field photo postcard
Three Photos postcards of pre 1973 gym
Probably pre 1910 science building Photo postcard
Woodwork room 1934 - on site of the Great Hall built in 1937. Photo postcard
3 photos postcard of original swimming pool demolished in 1972, 1915 photo of Gymnasium and on reverse original swimming pool.
Chapel 1890 photo postcard - nb pre Syms memorial stained glass window over altar, also 1905 postcard of the same.
Chapel Photo and post cards pre 1914
Photo and postcard of exterior of school from direction of Buckhurst Hill.
School exterior pre 1914 -5 different views on postcards - one was posted in 1905
Manor of Woodford - Map showing the future site of Bancroft's School. Two copies of Conveyance and Indenture ( on paper and CD) for the purchase of the Woodford Site between the Master and Wardens of the Drapers' Company and Earl Cowley, Franicis Leveson Bertie and Andrew Alfred Collyer - Bristow, dated 27th August 1885.
1862 photo showing High Road outside the future Bancroft's near junction for Buckhurst Hill
1862 map of High Road and planned diversion
Pictures of buildings on Bancroft's site pre Bancroft's
Two postcards of Quad - one posted in 1905, the other in 1915
1904 photo of School from field.
1908 postcards of school from field with cricket match being played, note original pre 1929 pavilion.
Original Great Hall from Head Master's house - Shows old tennis court on site of 2012 maths classroom and technology room
50 pictures of Woodford pre 1914
Boarding House - top floor washrrom and dormitories. 1920s photo, Main school top floor corridor showing corridor on main road side of top floor created when classroom replaced the main boarding dormitory - note original roof beams.
Pre 1937 view of Chapel - Great Hall not built.
Interior of chapel c1920 - note screen around altar
Chapel View towards forest across site of 1937 Great Hall
Photo over site of 1964 building ( later named Adams building after HM Sydney Adams - HM when built - showing dining hall, kitchens and chapel.
Various views of science labs
Internal view of classroom - 1920
Internal view of original Great Hall from Head Master's garden.
1920s photo abum showing exterior, Quad, Laboratories, Woodwork, Chapel, Day room, Gym, Cricket ( see item 330), Boarding, Fokke Aircraft.
1920s post cards with new War Memorial
1940s aerial photos on post cards showing new Great Hall
Two postcards of School facade.
Photo of pavilion opening (1929) taken by E L Jacobs, Mr G Williams ( Master of the Drapers' Company) speaking, Head Master Playne sitting on verandah.
Three photos of front of pavilion.
Aerial photos taken during construction of pavilion - note fives court on site of 1937 Great Hall.
Postcard - Aerial view of school 1929
1965 aerialphoto showing new 1964 building (later Adams Block) Missing
Inter war photo showing Head master's house Missing
Photo of tower - showing name board Missing
Original library ( later Masters' Common Room then Warner Room)
Two photos of Library created post 1937 by creation of upper floor in original Great Hall
Original woodwork room, replaced in 1930 by new room ( 2012 DT room) - this room converted to changing rooms and then demolished 1971 prior to building of 1973 swimming pool.
1930s woodwork room with note on rear of photo.
Photos of both woodwork rooms.
Architect's drawing of 1937 stage in new Great Hall
Line drawing showing Pavilion and Tuck Shop
1930s photo of Quadrangle
Original Pavilion photo
Photo of 1st XI pre 1914
Day room, dining hall, Great Hall, School exterior, Gymnasium, Swimming pool
Ordnance Survey map of site
Old Masters' Common Room, (2012) Warner Room
Photo album of School Architect Reginald Lowe comparing 1960 site to 1974.
1937 Great Hall, Photos showing original seating.
Photo of what was then Room 19, former laboratory, 2000 converted to Computer room ( raked seating removed, 2009 converted back to Lecture Theatre.) R L Bowley, Head of History and Housemaster, North House teaching lesson.
Corner classroom - rear window overlooks field roof has large gabled glass roof - former lab, then room 18, then Rm 39. Computer room 1981 - 85 junior lesson, teacher Miss Mary Moylan , later married to Jeremy Bromfield
North End - selections of photos, 1973 - 83 - area of 1973 gymnasium.
24th November 1948 photo showing re opening of Tuck Shop post war
Newly enclosed cloister corridor ( enclosed 1975) pupil on right Gary Lancet
Great Hall/Chapel pre 1964 building of what later was known as Adams building.
Rear of Science block pre 196os extension looking towards 1930s woodwork room
Photo of front gate with new girls, Monitor A M Williams inspects first intake of third form girls.
Photos of site of 1964 block (Adams building) before during and after building
Original swimming pool, note about staff flat known as Gym Villas, once occupied by R B (Bob) Baker and R D (Bob) Kisby
1973 gymnasium, R B Baker taking lesson
Art room 1937 - 1988, converted 1988 to computer suite (Neil suite) and then 2000 into 2 science Labs.
Photo of 1974 pavilion, master by door, M R Burke
Dining hall - self service lunch in progress - master, A V G Hagedorn, pupil at front P D Larkin, Server 3 Mrs Peggy Goode, server 4 Nurse Talbot.
Chemistry lesson in new 1970s lab.
Woodwork lesson in post 1937 room.
Study Carrell in Library, master at sdesk, M Connolly (Music)
1973 sports complex -Invitation to and newspaper report of laying the Foundation stone 1st June 1972, plus invitation to opening.
Mural on wall of dining hall paingted by Miss Playne, daughter of Head Master H Playne. Mural repainted once by Miss Playne c 1980 because of water damage, lost to view c !994 by redecoration.
Aerial photo 1946, presented by B A M Hamilton (OB 1940 - 47)
Line drawing drawn over main road by South Lodge
Aerial photo July 1962 (Photo and post cards.)
Two aerial photos ( 1980 and 1982) Note difference in roof of swimming pool. Original flat roof leaked due to internal condensation, replaced by pitched roof 1982
Aerial photos showing 1970s extension to science block.
Aerial photo showing 1973 swimming pool with original flat roof.
Front of school
Courtyard project 2003 - 2004, photos of building work
Science block - 1960s extension, photo before and after infill at bottom for art block 1988, one photo showing the building works in progress in snow.
Ceramics room, formerly store room, locker room, maths classroom, converted to ceramics 1988, reverted to maths classroom 2012, teacher in photo, Mrs Lucy MacRae
Computer room, 1990, formerly art room, converted to science labs 1999, teacher in shot Mrs Pat Kyrou.
Library with study carrels, pupil in foreground Gavin Brown, to his left Julia Whelan, later to become Mrs Gavin Brown!
Sixth form common room 1988, situated on first floor at north end of original school building, formerly part of boarding house, raised portion was a master's flat occupied by J G Bromfield 1974 - 1977.
Great Hall. Note cupboard under balcolny to right built in 1980s to house new Grand piano.
Tuck shop and school uniform shop 1987 - 2000. Classroom overlloking field and adjacent to Chapel Assey, for some time occupied by D H Giles. Mrs Carole Edwards serving.
views of the Chapel
Main school top floor corridor showing corridor on main road side of top floor created when classroom replaced the main boarding dormitory - note original roof beams.
Woodwork lesson in post 1937 room. Teacher Mr John Mitchell. Pupil to left Louise Rosen, to right, Adam Berthoud
Warner room, named after Prof Sir F R (Ned )Warner, FRS, formerly residents dining room, Masters Common Room, Library
Domestic Science room - formerly top floor boarders wash room ( created 1939 with infill between dining hall and front of school above what became Warner Room.Note on reverse. Boys, Martin Brwon, Roger Booth, Roger Williams. Second photo with mixed domestic science class.
1937 - 1988 art room
Physics laboratory, teacher Ben Franklin
Electronics room, part of 1988 developmkent under Science block.
1929 pavilion, named Bromfield Pavilion 2010 on retirement of J G Bromfield.``
Adams block, built 1964 as a block for boarders with day rooms and study rooms it later became the base for the music department with classrooms on ground floor ( these had been East and West house locker rooms.)
Squash courts - one of two glass backed squash courts built in 1981 - incorporated 2011 into Lyons Building as Art rooms.
Lecture Theatre ( rm 19 for some time and originally a science lab ) Photos prior to 1999 conversion to Computer room, converted back to lecture theatre 2009.
Lecture Theatre - see 409 - teacher Ian Stroud.
Pavilion. 1998 photo with new scoreboard, relocated 2000 to west of field. Score board given in memory of Parag Patel - 1st XI cricketer who died tragically 1997 aged 18 from cancer. Note on reverse of photo.
Pavilion. Internal photos immediately prior to 2000 renovation work.
Topping out ceremony, Chairman of Governors Walter Simmonds (Chairman 1984 - 1991) with Bob Borradaile ( Chairman 1991 - 1997)
Restored stone cross on roof of Chapel, retored when chapel re roofed.
Letter from Drapers' Company relating to ownership of School site and West Grove.
Postcard showing old Tolgate Cottage on junction of Epping New Road and road to Buckhurst Hill
Snakes Lane postcard
Proposals from furniture builder Luke Hughes for furniture for new sixth form centre. (2004)
Initial proposals for a design of what became the court yard building from W S Atkins
Watercolour painting by A Darbyshire
Watercolour as 425.
Painting of front of school by E Marshall Smith
1987 Art room with Head of Art W S (Steve) Stephenson teaching lesson
Photos & postcards 1920s and 1940s, including aerial shots.
Postcards, early 20th century
Aerial Photos of the School 2013, 2015.
West Grove Playing Field - 1932 plans for the creation of changing rooms in the "Lodge" - the Cottage occupied on first floor by the Groundsman - building acted as the pavilion for West Grove until 1974. Plans drawn up by OB Reginald Lone - the Architect.
1948 Plans for post War refurbishment of the West Grove playing Field following War damage
Photos of School Bell outside Chapel, the "Bancroft" Crest, the Foundation Stone, the Great Hall and the School, the plate which was on the door of the Porter's Lodge 1949 - 2009, subsequently under the portrait of George which hangs in the Dining Hall, marking the tenure of George Haines BEM as School Porter, pictures inside the chapel, taken by Steve Burton (Technology Dept)
Photos of the building of the courtyard building 2004 - 2005, taken by Steve Burton (Technology Dept)
Documents (with photo) relating to Chapel Bell and Whitechapel Bell Foundry
Article on the Woodford site
Opening of pavilion 1929 - photograph.
Sixth form Common Room and study facilities from 1980s to 2003
Photos of north wing of school prior to building of courtyard building 2003
Photos during building of courtyard building
Adams building prior to refit 2001
Courtyard building opening by Sir Chris Woodhead, photo with Dr P R Scott, Head Master, Maj Gen Adrian Lyons, Chairman of Governors And the Master of the Drapers' Compnay
Building of Sports Hall
1984 Structural survey
1991 structural suvey two volumes and summary book.
Papers relating to planning and building of courtyard building 2002 - 2006. (Two envelopes). Include Governors' Building Committee minutes and Operational Management Group Minutes.
Plans for alteration of boarding accommodation 1972
Plans for filling in under science block to create new art room and consequent conversion of old art room to classrooms 1987. Missing
Plans for building of Preparatory School 1989 Missing
Aerial photo of school Aug 1989.
Grove House Tottenham, later the Tottenham polytechnic , Old Art room in old upper dormitory.
Rewiring flag pole c 1983 - photo
Photos of original school kitchens prior to demolition 2004
Architect's drawings of new Great Hall Stage 1937
Prints ( 1984 ) of front of school, chapel and quad. Drawer Ray Figg.
Press release about original plans for new swimming pool and gymnasium and increase in school numbers and co-education
Aerial photo of school c 1955
Pre 1937 photos - Interior, exterior and aerial
New 1938 art room ( in 2013 now a science lab)
Report of proposed alternative catering during Courtyard development with H M Scott's notes to Bursar 2003, proposal rejected eventually and system oif sandwiches for all was used for duration of work. HM Scott's letter to parents about the arrangements for lunches during the building of the Courtyard Building
Report from Chartered Surveyors Gooch and Wagstaffe to the Governors in 1972 making general recommendations about fabric and other essential repairs needed at the School, West Grove and 30 Dale Gardens.
Two photos of the Quad pre 1921. Photos possibly c 1900. Sundial where post 1921 war memorial built.. On south side of the quad is the original Great Hall.
Chapel with Prep School Service
Photos of the building of the Prep School and the opening ceremony
Photos of new Great Hall 1938 ( also digital)
Photo of Opening of pavilion at West Grove, Master Draper, Sir Knox Cunningham, Tony Bucknell, H Cyrus Boddington, Chairman of Governors.
Notes from HM Ian Richardson to Old Bancroftians about the 1973 development.
Photo of the turret clock - one of the three features of the Mile End School on the Woodford site. It was bought by the Drapers' Company in Nov 1737
Photo of Upper sixth classroom and Library 1910
Photo of Masters Common Room later the Warner Room, named after Professor Sir Frederick Warner
Photos of boarding dormitory ( top floor) and middle floor ("bunkers" ) wash room ( "washers") and of the front of the school taken c 1972 - 73 - sent by Simon Cutmore - letter explaining attached. Also stored digitally.
Photo of front of school c 1908, donated by David Riddle (1967 - 1974 )
Slides of pavilion before 2000 refurbishment
Slides of lecture theatre before conversion to computer room in 2000 ( later restored to lecture theatre 2009.)
1919 photo of gym.
Original water colour (c 1990) of chapel by Gill Pollitt.
Copy of architct's drawing ( Blomfield) for the new school buildings at Woodford. Originals at Drapers' Hall
Aerial photo of school 1928
Aerial photo of school 1951
Aerial photo of school 1982
Aerial photo of school 1991
Aerial photo of school 2008
1750 photo of Bancroft's Hospital
Earliest known photograph of a whole class - sitting in original Great Hall - good information on provenance. C1890
1939 photo showing recently completed Great Hall
1910 photo of pupils sitting for lunch in Dining Hall - in Eton style uniforms
1908 photo of original Pavilion and Tuck Shop.
1900 photo of original sixth form room - later classroom adjacent to library abover HMs office
F:\Archives (JGB)\Buildings\'New' 2011 Art block_files
F:\Archives (JGB)\Buildings\Photos of New Art Block building 2011
Buildings\Papers relating to development of North End (Courtyard)
3306 - Bancroft's School - West Grove Sports Ground 3306 - 1 Survey Plans (1) (2)
Buildings\School Field building feedback Oct 03.doc
Photos\Scanned pictures by Baines March\Opening of Bancroft's School West Grove Pavilion 1974, Master Draper Sir Knox Cunningham , Tony Bucknall, Chairman of Governors, H C Boddington..jpg
1887 Building at Woodford - Architects drawings
Mile End Photos
1910 Chemistry Labs
Chapel. Bancroft's School. Memorial Window for Head Master Rev J Symns (Head 1876-1906) paid for by Old Bancroftians
Photos\Scanned pictures Shades,Baines March\PT lesson Bancroft's School c 1910 by fives courts..jpg
Bancrofts front 1970
Photos\top floor dormitory 1970 - just before conversion to study bedrooms. Simon Cutmore.jpg
Photos\washers 1970 - Simon Cutmore.jpg
Great Hall History by Brian Wainwright
Photos\Photos round school\Roundel on tower
Photos\Photos round school\Tower Clock
1937 plans - phase 3, North End extension and fill in over Warner Room
The Great Hall - a brief history of 75 years since its building by Brian Wainwright OB
Head Master's house c 1900
Plans on CD for phase 3 1937 building project, Extension of North Wing and fill in above Warner Room to improve boarding accommodation. Digital copy of same stored as 2086.
1940 photo from Bancroftian of extension to North Wing showing improved facilities for boarders, phase 3 of 1937 anniversary building project.
Papers relating to developments at West Grove 2004 - 2010.
Papers relating to flood damage to floor of Sports Hall during construction 2007
Photographs of building works undertaken by Messrs Pexhurst , 2002 - 2010. Refurbished Science Labs and Music Classroom (2002 - 2004), Swimming Pool and Changing Room (2005), Quad Stonework (2006), Performing Arts Centre (2007). Refurbishment of York Stone, World War Two Memorial Gates (2008). Prep School extension (2009). Refurbished Lecture Theatre and new mezzanine level in Library 2010.
Stored in Box 100 because of size. Drawings of the proposals to convert the 1983 Squash Courts to an Arts Block ( named in 2011 the Lyons Block)
Stored in Box 100 because of size. First proposals ( rejected ) by firm W S Atkins for the building later known as the Courtyard Building - 2002
Stored in Box 100 because of size - Plans and feasibility study for proposed Prep School extension - December 2007.
Stored in Box 100 because of size. 2004 plans and drawings for possible building work in Prep School, fgor a sixth form centre, a main entrance and at West Grove.
Papers relating to Prep School Extension, 2008
Papers relating to conversion of 1983 Squash Courts to Arts Block ( named Lyons Building) 2009 - 2011.
Building of Sports Hall 2004 - 2007 - discussion document and related papers.
Papers relating to extension of Library and creation of Mezzanine Floor, 2009
2012 Aerial Photos of School including CD of the photos.
2012 A3 size laminated aerial photos of the School and West Grove
A3 presentation of 2010 proposal to mcreate a new reception area at ground level ( no steps). Plan did not materialise.
2008 papers relating to design and specification of extension to Prep School
2007 papers relating to specification and design of link to be built between new Sports Hall and Swimming Poll through original 1973 squash court.
2009 papers relating to proposed development of West Grove playing field.
2009 papers relating to conversion of Squash Court to Arts Centre with additional sixth formn study space.
2006 report on flood damage to Sports Hall whilst under construction.
Selection of contractor for Courtyard Building 2004 - interview notes
Jan 2004 Letter from HM Scott to parents outlining plans to build Courtyard Building.
Electrical Installations - Survey Report 2002.
Mechanical Installations - Survey Report 2002.
Copies of photos of school buildings and other activities ( stored digitally in Archives Z drive) taken in 1928 by Frederick Bergdale Harvey (1926 - 1933) plus a note explaining their provenance.
Digital colour photo of senior dormitory 1950's
digital colour photo of the washroom 1950